Hot and dry air can have all sorts of effects on the body, one of the most prominent ones being dry, itchy, cracked skin.
It is important to know when your skin is dry or just dehydrated. Dry skin will need constant moisturising. It often needs oil-rich products, as it lacks natural skin oils (sebum). It may also feel like you are dry from head-to-toe.
Dehydration means that you are not taking in enough water, or that your skin’s barriers are not able to keep the moisture locked in. You may feel that you are oily and dry at the same time. In this instance, using lighter moisturisers will work better, along with drinking more water.
In both cases, you will have flaky, itchy, sensitive, tight and dull skin.
Drink more water
We love caffeinated energy drinks when we are on the go. These are however, diuretics, and pull water from your body. Make sure to drink one glass of water for every hot beverage you consume, to even it out a bit and make sure you are getting enough water to hydrate your body.
The right supplements
- Zinc helps your skin heal, especially if it is cracked or broken
- Omega 3 creates a natural moisture barrier keeping your skin hydrated
- Vitamin C is needed to produce collagen - the glue that keeps our skin together
Picking the right moisturiser
Now that we have offered solutions to self-care from within, we can look at what we can do to bring relief from the outside.
When choosing a lotion or cream, it is best to look at different options for the different parts of your body.
Remember to take your skin-type into consideration when choosing a moisturiser. Should you feel greasier around your T-zone; a lighter, water-based moisturiser will be suitable. If you have intense dryness and tightness; a thicker cream will benefit you more.
Some of our favourite face creams include:
- Nivea Q10 Plus Anti-Wrinkle Day Cream
- Aloe Unique Essential Day Cream
- Eucerin AquaPorin Active SPF25 for Dry Skin
- Clinique Moisture Surge Intense Skin Fortifying Hydrator
- Eucerin Hyaluron-Filler Night Cream
- Nivea Hyaluron Cellular Filler Night Cream
- Vichy Aqualia Thermal Night Spa
For your body, a lotion or cream to alleviate the itch, we recommend:
- E45 Body Cream
- Nivea Rich Nourishing Body Lotion
- Jack Black Cool Moisture Body Lotion
- Eucerin UreaRepair Plus Body Cream
Cracked heels are no joke.
Dry skin can be a real nuisance. Be sure not to worsen the state of your skin by using harsh soaps, and try to limit your exposure to hot water. If you are experiencing exceptionally dry skin, consult our wellness clinic Sisters or one of our pharmacists for advice.