Mopani Pharmacy consulted Sean Willard, Pharmacist and Holistic Cannabis Practitioner, on what CBD is and how it works.
What is CBD Oil?
“CBD is an acronym for cannabidiol, a very most common cannabinoid found in cannabis. The oil is produced by infusing the CBD extracted from a cannabis plant into a base, like alcohol or hemp seed oil”, he explained.
What does CBD oil do?
“The human body has an endocannabinoid system whose receptors are associated with emotional health, appetite, stress, the central nervous system, movement, pain and immune system. CBD interacts directly or indirectly with these receptors to bring about a sense of homeostasis”, he said.
“Think of the story of Goldilocks. She did not want her porridge too hot or too cold, she wanted it just right. CBD can assist in this process of Homeostasis in your body, to return things to just right.”
How do you take it?
“The oil can be placed under your tongue, and held there for 30-60 seconds before swallowing. The oil can be used or swallowed diluted/undiluted. Alternatively, you can make use of CBD capsules. The REThink range also offers a variety of Rooibos teas where CBD is combined with various botanicals for health maintenance and enhancement.”
Can you get high from CBD?
“THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) is the other most common cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. CBD differs from THC which is psychoactive and can cause a ‘high’ or euphoric effect.”
“CBD oil can be made from either Hemp or Marijuana varieties of the Cannabis plant, the difference being the concentrations of the ingredients in each variety. The Hemp plant has a higher CBD concentration and little to no THC while on the other hand, the Marijuana variety has a higher THC content and a lower CBD content. Many CBD oils sold on the black market, or sold illegally, are made from the marijuana plant and may not only have a very high THC content, but generally haven’t been screened for pesticides and toxins. Our advice – watch out for these products. If you are told to ‘not tell anyone’ about where you got your oil, you are probably not buying a reputable hemp product.”
“Many CBD oils, particularly “full-spectrum” products, may still contain trace amounts of THC. All legal CBD products in South Africa must contain no more than 0,001% THC. Remember to get reputable products such as REThink CBD products that has been endorsed and has 3rd party verification by the Cannabis Research Institute (CRI).”
“If a product contains more than 0,001% THC, avoid it.”
What is the difference between CBD oil and Hemp Seed oil?
“Hemp Seed Oils are made by cold pressing the Hemp seeds and, although full of nutrients, contain little to no Cannabinoids like CBD. As mentioned above, CBD oil is made when the CBD is extracted from the plant and infused into the carrier oil such as a Hemp Seed Oil.”
What’s Legal & Certified – what’s important to know about my brand choice?
- Make sure your product has no more than 0,001% THC
- Ask about the Certificate of Analysis (COA). It is a document created by a third-party testing facility that verifies a product’s specifications, including its components and concentration. RETHINK products all have COA’s.
- Google search them – if the brand does not have a comprehensive website, a customer support number, think twice.
- 20mg of CBD is the maximum daily dosage here in SA currently.
How do I choose the correct product?
- Decide what you want to use it for
- Look at product format and what is available
- You can take one CBD product or layer them, but do not use more than 20mg per day
- If they are sold at Mopani Pharmacy, they are considered reputable
- Ask for a recommended product based on your age, needs and lifestyle
Can you travel with CBD oil?
“Yes, but it may not pass customs as it is not yet legal in all countries. Do research before your travels to make sure you are covered.”
Can you overdose?
“It has been shown to be safe to use in high doses, it is very unlikely to cause a fatal overdose. However, taking too much, or more than recommended, may cause you to have an unwanted side effect such as drowsiness.”
What can I use it for?
“Although CBD cannot promise to treat or cure any illness, it can bring relief to the symptoms of many health challenges. Common symptoms it is used for include pain, inflammation, restlessness, insomnia and anxiety. Others use it for their general well-being. More is learned about CBD every day, and research is vital.”
Do you need a prescription for CBD?
“It is not a medication used to treat any condition; therefore, it is classified as a health supplement. You can purchase it without a prescription. However, your doctor may recommend or prescribe it. It does have a NAPPI-code, so if your doctor did prescribe it, there is a chance that your medical aid might cover it.”
What dosage should I be using to get best effect?
- Start low, go slow. Start at the minimum dosage, and if it works, stick to it. If not, gradually increase to the dosage that works for you
- Remember that although the legal limit is 20mg, some company policies may require it to be lower
- You can ask your employer about your company policy to make sure you are in the clear
- As the product may flag a drug test due to trace amounts of THC, ask your pharmacist or request your product brand to send you a Certificate of Analysis.
Now that you are well informed of all things CBD, feel free to ask our staff at Mopani Pharmacy about which product will be suited best to your lifestyle! Shop the REThink product range in-store or online!
We can deliver your medication, supplements and other Mopani online shopping, nationwide! More info: mopani.co.za | firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: 013 755 5500 | WhatsApp: 066-192-1703